Music 513: Music Since 1900
- Bryan R. Simms, Music of the Twentieth Century, 2d edition.
New York: Schirmer Books, 1996, with 2-CD set of recordings.
- Bryan R. Simms, Music of the Twentieth Century, An Anthology.
New York: Schirmer Books, 1986, includes all the pieces on the recordings.
- J. Peter Burkholder and Claude V. Palisca, ed., Norton Anthology
of Western Music, 5th ed., vol. 2 (New York: Norton, 2005).
- Norton Recorded Anthology of Western Music, 5th ed., vol. 2
(New York: Norton, 2005). This 6-CD set contains recordings of all the
examples in vol. 2 of the Norton Anthology of Western Music.
Topics for Discussion:
- Romanticism and Reaction
- The Atonal Revolution
- New Tonalities
- The Second Viennese School
- Music, Society, and Politics
- The Avant-Garde
- Music and Technology
- Rationalism and Serialism
- Selection and Chance
- Simplicity and New-Tonality
- Tradition and Pluralism
- Attendance and participation in class discussion.
(Bring Simms and Anthology to every class.)
- Reading and listening as assigned.
- Class work as assigned.
- Brief project, due October 20
- Class project, due end of term.
- Mid-term exam. Bring a blue book
- Final examination. Bring a blue book.
Links of Interest
Warren Steel |
Music Department |
UM Home |
Find It ]