This page will serve as a contents page to various "handouts" (a term I use for lack of a better term) relevant to this class. On some occasions, the documents here will be duplicates of paper copies handed out in class. On most occasions, however, the documents listed here will be posted only here and/or via E-mail.
- "I Want My MTV," by Matthew A. Munich
- "The Language of Advertising Claims," by Jeffrey Schrank
- "Kicking the Big One," by Barbara Ehrenreich
- "Limbaugh, Letterman, and Bill Clinton: The Politics of Irony," by Alex Ross
- "The Library of Congress's Cowardice: The Big Mouse," by Todd Gitlin. From The New Republic (January 22, 1996). Why did the Library of Congress cancel three planned exhibits? What is the role of museum exhibits?
- "A Liberal Mistake: Is Everything Race?," by Randall Kennedy. From The New Republic (January 1, 1996). Do harsher sentences for crack cocaine than for powder cocaine constitute racism?
More to come!
Revised April 18, 1996