e-Newsletter of Civil Engineering
Planet Forward video on sustainable transit technology
Planet Forward Video on Sustainable Infrastructure by Recycling Waste Glass to Enhance Road Safety and Reduce Emissions
Planet Forward Video on Energy, Vehicle Emission, and Sustainability Practices
Externally Funded Research Projects: (PI - Dr. Waheed Uddin) Over 16 million dollars in new grants since 2000
including 4.6 m$ software grant from geosptial industry, August 2009
- U.S. DOT - Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA), Total Grant $6.9 million, 2012-2016:
"The National Center for Intermodal Transportation for Economic Competitiveness (NCITEC);
CAIT is partner with Mississippi State Univ led University Consortium for NCITEC,", 2012-13; additional 3.5 million dollars, 2013-2015
- Mississippi Department of Transportation, Grant $71,500: "A Synthesis Study of Noncontact Nondestructive Evaluation of Top-down Cracking in Asphalt Pavements," 2011-2012
- Mississippi Department of Transportation, Grant $70,920: "Performance Evaluation of Roundabouts for Traffic Delay and Crash Reduction in Oxford, MS," 2009-2011
- Engineering Center Awarded National $350,000 Contract for Airport Research Program,04/09/2007
- Civil Engineering Research Center Awarded Technology Transfer Grant for Work in Pakistan,03/27/2007
- The Mantle, Feb 2008: Real Applications Inspire Students - Ole Miss Professor Uddin received DSITE EXcellence in Teaching Award in 2007 and again in 2011
- Prof Offers Insights Into Why Miss. Highways Are So Deadly, 08/26/2004
- University Center Partners in National Air Quality Project, 01/19/2001
- Oxford, University Cooperate in Transportation Enhancement Project, 05/08/2000
- Ole Miss Engineer Leads in Highway Pavement Research, 08/01/1998
- 2013 IJPC, International Journal of Pavements Conference, São Paulo, Brazil, 9-10 December 2013
- 2012 MAIREPAV 7 Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 27-30 August 2012
- 2011 Seminar on “Lessons learned from the 2011 Thailand Flood Disaster and Future Directions for Flood Prevention and Mitigation”, Bangkok, Thailand, 21 December 2011
- 2011 CONINFRA Conference, São Paulo, Brazil, 10-12 August 2011
- 5th Intl. Conference - Bituminous Mixtures and Pavements, Thessaloniki, Greece, 1-3 June 2011
- International Workshop on Energy and Environment in the Development of Sustainable Asphalt Pavements, US-China Workshop, Xian, China, 7-9 June 2010
- iSMARTi Second International Conference, ICTI, São Paulo, Brazil, 4-6 August 2010
- iSMARTi First International Conference, ICTI, Beijing, China, 22-24 April 2008
Dr. Uddin is the founding Director of Center for Advanced Infrastructure Technology
(CAIT) and professor of civil engineering at the University of Mississippi. Previously a pavement expert for the United Nations, he has worked, lectured, and made presentations worldwide in 28 countries. Dr.
Waheed Uddin has over 30 years of professional experience in highways, airports, sustainable development, and related areas of transportation engineering and infrastructure management. Dr. Uddin is Associate Director Research of the "The National Center
for Intermodal Transportation for Economic Competitiveness (NCITEC)", funded by $6.9 million total grant of the U.S. DOT - Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA). CAIT is a part of Mississippi State Univ led University Consortium for NCITEC, January 2012- January 2016.
Since 1981, Dr. Uddin has been concentrating his professional expertise in transportation safety, infrastructure management, pavement nondestructive evaluation (NDE) technologies, bridge maintenance management, sustainable development, life-cycle economic analysis, and workforce training.
His current research interests include laboratory characterization of asphalt and other paving materials, finite element dynamic analysis of pavement models, crashworthiness analysis of roadside safety structures, Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) deployment, geographical information system (GIS) applications, geospatial analysis, and use of airborne and spaceborne remote sensing technologies for transportation, environmental, and disaster response applications.
His latest book , published by McGraw-Hill, July 2013. Dr. Uddin is a co-author of "Infrastructure Management" book by Hudson, Haas and Uddin, published by McGraw-Hill, Inc, 1997, in Japanese, 2001, and in Chinese, 2005. Dr. Uddin also contributed a chapter on pavement management systems in the CRC Highway Engineering Handbook published in 2006. He is also a chapter author on transportation rlated emissions in Climate Change Handbbok, Springer 2011.
He is the Chief Editor of IJP-International Journal of Pavements since its founding in 2002. Dr. Uddin is the Founding President of iSMARTi -
international Society for Maintenance And Rehabilitation of Transport infrastructure (2004-07).
- Ph.D.,The University of Texas at Austin, 1984
- M.S., Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, 1975
- B.S., University of Karachi, 1970